I attempted to read this morbid tale to Charlotte the other day. She was not amused by my mad accent or the big, stupid Poe words I was using. I just found the story (and accent) appropriate for the times-but what do I know?
I have attempted quite a few things in the past ten days that I never wanted to accomplish in the first place, so I'm pretty sure I deserve a gold star or at least one of those shiny blue or green ones. I have some stars I could award myself...but they are at school, along with many of the other teaching materials I need right now, but I digress.
Let's see...I attempted to make Sadie Stink a cake for her 6th birthday. It looked gorgeous but made me gag. The kids liked it, so this bodes well for confectionary projects in the future. I also made French Toast out of a baguette I purchased quite astutely from the Walmart when the bread aisle was bare...but not the crusty market bread. I can make that work!
I attempted to find projects the kids would enjoy doing while I watched, but didn't have to participate too much. Those projects don't exist. So, we made mosaics, we made Frozen and Trolls Legolands, we colored, they played softball with Daddy. They cartwheeled when it was pretty and played on the computer when it wasn't. I am doing a Fun Friday Scavenger Hunt tomorrow around the yard!
I attempted to make lesson plans for a fourth-grader and a Kindergartner. After making the weekly schedule, they treated learning like a game of playing school, so that has been pretty fun. I made them both vocabulary lessons this week -- the same basic activities I give my high schoolers because the skills transfer! There will be a test tomorrow and the kids couldn't be happier about it. Sadie is killing math on Khan Academy and I relearned the Order of Operations today (PEMDAS) in hopes of teaching Charlotte more math in the future.
That being said...I didn't sign up to be an elementary school teacher. There are SO many nuances to teaching small children that this high school teacher just does not know! And even if I did, Charlotte is not trying to listen to Mom teach her anything new. Not for school. So, online math will have to suffice.

I attempt to deduce how to teach my actual high school students, but that is so far out of my hands at this point that I just have to breathe and wait for more instructions. I know what I need them to know and how I want to teach them, but I can only do what I am told.
We actually did a lot of online Jazzercise. Poor Pop Pop. At least we have some recess on rainy days.
Today, I decided that my children needed some Bible study along with whatever English and Math I could provide. We made it through the first seven days of creation. And angels. Sadie said angels were beings who take people up to Heaven and make them live again when they die. Charlotte said they were messengers. Both were correct; however, after doing some studying myself, I learned that biblical Cherubs are super creepy looking four-faced, fiery sworded, winged angels-NOT sweet little babies...and Seraphim are pretty fiery themselves. Archangels are cool though.
This morning when I woke up I felt like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. It's the same scene. I get up, make breakfast, David goes upstairs to work, the kids get up, eat breakfast, watch cartoons, start work...etc. etc. etc.
I don't know how long we can go on like this where the kids are ok with it. I guess as long as I don't panic, neither will they.
One final note. Charlotte drew this dude today. He came straight out of 1994. He looks very familiar.




No comments:
Post a Comment