A wise angel once said..."Remember, no man is a failure who has friends."
No plan is a failure that has friends, either! Even if they have to stand 6 feet away because of the plague!
The best-laid plans of mice and men...
First, it was NYC for my 40th! Then came the plague...
So we got a cottage at the OBX. Then they closed the bridge...
So we stayed home like I was told to by the CDC. No hair appointments. No nail appointments. No fancy party. No massage.
I requested some good food from my husband, and I got it, and so much more.
7am-ish David gets out of bed and tells me to stay asleep. Ok, can do. I roll back over.
7:30am David comes in and tells me to brush my hair. What? He says..ya know...for pictures and stuff. I'm so confused. Then I hear the beating and knocking. It sounds like it is coming from the walls...we run to the back window...and there they are, my favorite people: Jenn and Anastasia and Ali with mimosas and graffiti. I love fun surprises and this is one of the BEST ever!!! It just made me so happy to see their faces; it's been so long!!!After we freeze for a bit and say goodbye, I catch a bit of Marissa's Jazzercise set. I got my birthday shout out and even did "Cake" in slippers. It was magnificent.
Close to 9am David completed one of his many masterpieces, my Eggs Benedict. De-Lus-Cious!
About 9:30 Mary Faith stopped by and brought me IPAs and some Reese's in the shape of eggs (which is the only way to eat a Reese's).
Around 10am, I sat on the couch and did nothing while I watched a DVR'ed Pretty Woman documentary.
Ashley called to tell me Happy Birthday (as she promised she always would to tell me I hadn't been born yet), just like my mama always did. I listened to Mom's old Voicemails and Betsy's too.My children eventually stopped playing outside to love on me for a minute.

Mid-afternoon I actually talked to Jill and Sharon, which was wonderful because I never get to hear their voices and it was just a perfect moment in time when we are all going through the exact same thing so there is always lots to talk about!At 6pm, I got my delicious Filet Mignon dinner and a White Chocolate Raspberry "Nothing Bundt Cake" for dessert. My husband is the best!
When dinner was over, The Prices were standing on the front lawn singing Happy Birthday! PRICELESS!!!
At 8:30, I saw Leigh and Hannah on Zoom, and got to hear their voices and LAUGH with them about Tiger King and Corn Husks- thanks Vaughan.
Then I talked to Elizabeth about my birthday and Carl's awful tick bite!
The IPAs and Sangria about put me to sleep! After lots of birthday texts and Facebook posts, I was warm and fuzzy, happy and ready for bed. I am officially over the hill now.Bedtime. One of the best birthdays ever. And yes, it wasn't what I planned, at all. But I will NEVER, ever forget all of my friends and family love that day.
This is 40. In the Age of COVID-19.


No comments:
Post a Comment