Sunday, March 12, 2017
Popcorn with Jesus
For years there have been signs. Grandma played the organ for me after she died. Francine showed up on fiery angel wings at the beach. And to this day, Daddy talks to me through this Melissa and Doug toy. Seriously. You know, the ones that when you put the animal back in its shape hole it makes an animal noise back at you. Yes, that annoying thing. Well, after Daddy died, this toy meowed, barked and growled at me whenever I walked by. And no one had been touching it for hours. Whenever I would get neighed at, after I had a mini-heart attack, I always said, "Hey, Daddy." I know, sounds insane and a bit of a stretch. Like stepping on a Lego and seeing God, but I even told myself I was crazy and put the thing in the garage to take to Goodwill. Well, that toy randomly started meowing at me from under a load of other clothes a few days ago, and I'm not trying to mess with the universe at this time, so I dug through about six bags of clothes, shoes, games, and crap until that damn cat stopped meowing at me.
Popcorn and Raisinets, that was our secret treat. Anytime Daddy and I would go to the movies, we got popcorn and Raisinets and mixed them together in the popcorn bucket. The salty popcorn perfectly paired with the melting chocolate and chewy raisins. We always ate that and drank a giant "Suicide" or a little of every single soft drink: Sprite, Coke, Dr. Pepper, whatever was in the drink line-up, we got. So, popcorn was essential on all Daddy/Daughter movie dates, but also on Sunday nights when I had my standing date at my dad's house. Sunday was our special night and Daddy would pop popcorn and drench it in butter that had been melted in the microwave. I realize this sounds like we were just fatties with heart attacks right around the bend, but hot butter and "suicides" aside, we were relatively healthy humans. I speak of popcorn because this evening, while putting Sadie to sleep, that animal toy cock-a-doodle-doo'ed at me and I said, "Say hello to Granddaddy." She did, then she grabbed my face and said, "Are you sad, Mommy?" I told her yes, I missed Mum and my daddy, her granddaddy whom she has never met. She just sighed and said, "But they're eating popcorn and they have popcorn in their teeth." Then she talked about how Jesus was with Mum. Now, I have never told Sadie anything about my dad and popcorn, nor have we eaten any popcorn at any point recently, but she sure saw my daddy eating some. And apparently with Mum and with Jesus. I mean, I can get behind that image, my parents...together...eating popcorn...with Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That was the perfect end cap to my day. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteLove this.
ReplyDelete