Friday, March 3, 2017

Growls and Giggles

I never had a sister. I don't remember especially wanting one actually. I vaguely recall being slightly bummed when I found out Beau would be a boy instead of a girl, but that disappointment quickly disapated since I very much liked being queen bee.

So when I say I have no frame of reference in which to deal with the craziness that is my two girl children, I mean it in more ways than one. I never had a sister, so that squealing and picking relationship is one that I have no idea how to wage war against. The warriors are out maneuvering me. Also, my brothers and I are ten years apart so there was never any of the squealery or jealousy or tattling that goes on in this particular seige. My step brother and I are the same age, but other than silly fart jokes, elbows in the backseat, and a general mope-face glare at each other from when we were fourteen until about nineteen, we were delightful together. So...no idea.

As wonderful and inspiring as my mother was, she had little advice for me in this battle as she was the mom to two children who were neither the same sex nor anywhere close to the same age. And as crazy as they are around me in an effort to gain MY attention, they were little gremlins for her attention as the one who won Mum got the end all be all of the spoils of war!

Sadie is almost three and Charlotte is six. This past year they have fought 80% of the time they breathed, but things are starting to change. They are starting to play together. And the friendship that is emerging is one that makes me understand the value of sisterhood. Charlotte and Sadie will share this journey as they grow, carrying all of us with them in their collective memory.

Every hug and sweet moment just warms my heart, and I will continue to hold my breath until the giggles outweigh the growls.

No comments:

Post a Comment